In an era where social media is often the way to keep up to speed with the best sports stars on the planet, the world will be keeping a close eye on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter during the Olympic Winter Games. Here are five stars to look out for in Korea…
1. Shaun White – White has long been a snowboard institution having won gold at both the 2006 and 2010 Olympic Winter Games. As the American bids to add to his medal haul at PyeongChang 2018, his journey on social media is being followed by an ever-growing number of people. He boasts 1.75 million followers on Twitter, more than two million on Facebook and nearly half a million on Instagram.
2. Lindsey Vonn – On her Instagram page, which has 1.1 million followers, she states simply: “Olympic skier living life to the fullest.” Her posts have sometimes been fairly horrific detailing the various injuries she has sustained and the subsequent, often painful, rehabilitation programmes she has been through. The American is just shy of 1 million followers on Twitter and 1.3 million followers on Facebook.
3. Mark McMorris – Much like Vonn, McMorris has had a tough time with injuries but has been back to full fitness and impressing on the slopes in the build up to PyeongChang 2018. The Canadian snowboarder loves to share clips of his latest aerial manoeuvres on the snow to his 570,000 followers on Instagram. There is a slightly more meagre fanbase on Twitter of 165,000, with a quarter of a million people following his every move on Facebook.
— Mark McMorris (@markmcmorris) September 13, 2017
4. Lara Gut – The 2016 overall World Cup champion had a successful defence in her sights until injury at the World Championships brought a premature end to her 2017 campaign. The alpine ski racer is fully fit again and retains a loyal fanbase on social media. Her strongest following comes in the form of 613,000 users on Facebook, where she likes to host live press conferences, while she has more than 300,000 followers on Instagram and in excess of a quarter of a million on Twitter.
5. Sven Kramer – On the speed skater’s Twitter timeline – to which 400,000 people have signed up – you’re just as likely to find tweets from the Dutchman as his hockey-playing girlfriend Naomi van As, who herself has two Olympic gold medals. His Instagram account – which has 90,000 followers – focuses on his training, while his Facebook page is more of a mix and in excess of half a million followers.